Most favourite tax questions from taxpayers


Customer Service Centre of Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia summarised below the Top 5 most favourite asked questions from  Malaysian taxpayers:-

1. How do I register an Individual income tax reference number?

There are 2 methods of registering an income tax reference number:

i)  You can register manually at the nearest IRBM branch by bringing along a copy of your identification document, remuneration statement and business registration for business cases. 
ii) You can register online through e-Daftar at

If you are a single person earning an annual income of RM26,500 or more (after deducting EPF contribution), you are required to register an income tax file with the nearest LHDNM branch. In certain cases, if your income is below the taxable threshold, IRM may not want you to open a tax file or register a tax reference number.

2. When will the current year’s excess tax credit be refunded to me?

You will receive your refund within

i) 30 days from the date of submission if the submission is done within the due date through e-filing.

ii) 3 months from the date of submission if the submission is done manually, within the due date.

3. Where can I make my Individual income tax payment ?

Individual income tax payment can be made at:
i) IRBM payment counter (Jalan Duta, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching)

ii) Counter (CIMB Bank, Public Bank, Maybank,Eonbank,Pos Malaysia)

iii) E-payment. Please visit

iv) Internet banking (CIMB Bank, Public Bank, Maybank, Eonbank, Pos Malaysia)

4. What are the conditions to claim deduction on housing loan interest?

Interest expended to finance purchase of residential property. Relief of up to RM10,000 a year for three consecutive years from the first year the interest is paid.

Subject to the following conditions:

i) the taxpayer is a Malaysian citizen and a resident;

ii) limited to one residential unit;

iii) the sale and purchase agreement is signed between 10th March 2009 and 31st December 2010; and

iv) the residential property is not rented out.

Also see our tax article and blog post update below:-

Tax Article on Income Tax Relief on Interest of Housing Loan.

Blog post on Housing loan interest tax deduction of RM10,000 per year for 3 years of assessment.

5. Do I have to register a company tax file if my company has not commenced operations?

A company tax file has to be registered only when the company has commenced operations/business.