SOCSO (Social Security Organization), also known as PERKESO (Pertubuhan Keselamatan Sosial), was established in 1971 under the Ministry of Human Resources (formerly known as Ministry of Labour) to provide social security protections to all employees/workers in Malaysia.
Functions of SOCSO
The functions of SOCSO (PERKESO) are as follows:
- Registration of employers and employees
- Collection of contribution from employers and employees
- Payment of benefits to workers and/or their dependents when tragedy strikes
- Provision of physical and vocational rehabilitation benefits
- promotion of awareness of occupational safety and health